"A romantic island getaway with white-sand beaches and a turquoise lagoon teeming with marine life."
Need to know
- 94 villas
- Mudhdhoo Island, BAA Atoll, Maldives
- Island paradise perfect for snorkeling, diving, and beach bumming
- Check-out time: Check-in and check-out times are flexible and work around guests’ departures (if rooms are available)
- The outdoor spaces in each villa, with gorgeous views of the ocean or beach.
- Exploring the house reef via snorkeling or diving. Look out for octopus!
- Biking around the island, especially the over-water paths.
- The authentic Thai food at Benjarong.
A quick seaplane ride from Male gets you to the Dusit Thani Maldives, located in the UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve of the BAA Atoll. The private island getaway comes with white sand beaches, coconut palms and a house reef that harbours more than 200 species of fish. Rejuvenate here, where ocean villas come with private pools, and wooden decks that hover over a cerulean ocean. Each villa comes with a butler who will make sure your every wish is met. No request is too absurd.
Days are a constant struggle of just being, or making the most of what the island has to offer. Force yourself to leave the day bed to chase a turtle. Cycle to lunch through sandy paths and over-water decks. Or better yet, grab snorkel equipment and swim around the island. For a little adventure, a dive master leads expeditions in a Dhonu (traditional Maldivian boat) to nearby islands. Other diversions include tennis courts, a yoga pavilion and a host of activities that range from Thai cooking to boxing. End the day with a signature treatment (a combination of Thai, Ayurveda and Swedish) at the Devarana Spa.
Given the Dusit’s Thai heritage, it is no surprise that the best food here is at Benjarong, the property’s Thai restaurant. The focus here is on flavour and spice (ask for mild if you have a low tolerance). The aromatic tiger prawns in red curry with brown rice was a standout, along with the pad thai.